Thursday, March 17, 2016

Why I Like to Plan Ahead...

 
(Note: This is part of a larger series on the weekend messages. Click here to see the original post)

Why I Like to Plan Ahead
Some pastors plan there messages week by week. I tend to have a schedule of topics that extends from six month up until a year into the future. The following are some of the reasons I like to plan ahead…

Intentional Biblical Diet - By laying it out, I can look at the overall balance of God’s word that our church is getting. By having a schedule, others can have input.  For example, each year I give my proposed message schedule to our church board members and the staff. This allows others to see where I’m going.

Getting a Head Start on Studying – If I know that three months from now I’m doing a series on the life of Jacob dealing with integrity. I can keep my eyes open ahead of time for passages, stories, and examples to file away for upcoming series. At the beginning of year I create files for the series and start collecting material along the way.

It helps with overall church planning – All staff members are provided with a copy of the message schedule – this allows them to plan with the messages in mind. They are able to see the start of new series, the topics we’ll cover, when guest speakers will be here, etc.  It can allow from a more integrated church calendar.

It fits how I am wired – Part of me is very spontaneous, I’m wired in a “figure it out as you go” mode.  But because preparing and delivering the message is an exceptionally draining activity for me, I need this part of my life to have some structure.  Speaking is the one activity (Besides counseling) that can suck the life out of me.  The spiritual and creative energy that goes into the weekly message can be exhausting.  Knowing what I’m speaking on, ahead of time, gives me a weekly starting point in what can already feel like an overwhelming process.

Subject to Change – While I plan ahead, the message schedule is always subject to change.  I always want to be open to changes God may want or needs of the church that should be addressed.
So… those are some of the reasons I plan ahead.
Next week this series on the weekend message continues with “Why I like going through books of the Bible”.

No comments: