Thursday, April 9, 2015

Why Guest Speakers are scheduled during the year


(Note: This is part of a larger series on the weekend messages. Click here to see the original post)

So… why are guest speakers scheduled during the year. The quick answer is: I’m not good enough, or interesting enough, or creative enough, or energetic enough to speak every Sunday! Dave Jacobs, a consultant to churches writes: “The senior pastor is not the only voice to the church, but he does need to be the main voice. A good balance is the pastor up there four or five weeks in a row and then someone else.” The amount of energy and focus to do the weekly message can be formidable, Speaking week after week is the #1 activity (along with counseling) that will leave me drained.  I’ve found that a sustainable pace is when I speak for about five to six weeks, and then have someone else come in, then I get up for another 5-6 weeks, then bring in someone with a fresh arm.Below are some benefits to the church and some benefits for me.

Benefits for the Church
  • A more well-rounded understanding of God’s Word
     - Different speakers will have different take on a passage or a fresh perspective on the text.  There are some topics I’m going to get pumped about, and probably overemphasis, and other topics I’m more “ho-hum” about, and will underemphasize.  With only one speaker there is a danger of just getting the Mike Hannah version of the Bible – that’s not a good thing! A balanced diet is important when learning God’s word.
  • It gives other speakers an opportunity to develop
    .  If one speaker fills up all the speaking slots, it doesn’t allow other people to grow and develop.  The best scenario for the church is to have a team of competent speakers.  That way, if anything happens to one person, God’s word will faithfully be preached regardless.
  • I can make progress on other projects that are important to the church. 
    One the weeks I speak, a big chunk of my work hours are tied up by preparing the message.  On the weekends I don’t speak, those weekday hours are freed up for me to work on other items that are helpful for the church.  This might be contacting members, encouraging leaders, designing a new workshop, etc.
  • You get a better lead pastor
     - If I don’t take a break, I get burned out, and speaking feels like going through the motions. By taking periodic breaks, when I do speak, you get a better me.  That’s a benefit to the church….and also a benefit for me…. Which leads me to the next section.

Benefits for Me


  • I don’t burn out and die! 
     – When I was younger I could just go and go, the older I get, the more I need to stop and rest. The weekly process of creating and delivering a message can be incredibly draining. The truth is, after about six weeks, I’m get drained and need an opportunity to recharge.  If not, I lose enthusiasm, and start to go into autopilot mode with God’s word. In the Bible there’s a pattern on six on, one off. Six days of work, one day off, six year of working the land, one year for the land to rest.  So for me, an average of six on, one off seems to be sustainable. I want to be around for a long time
  • I have time to do family things
     – On the weekends I speak, I spend time on Saturday preparing for the message, and then Sunday I’m at church delivering it. This makes it hard to plan family activities for when my family is off – the weekend. By having scheduled breaks, this allows weekend time for family every one and half months.

So, those are some of the reasons guest speaker are scheduled throughout the year.

Next Week’s Topic: Weekend Message Values


No comments: